Straddling the Chasm: A brief introduction to Jason Motz

It’s hard not to be impressed by Jason Motz.

At only 33, being managing editor of Positive Living Magazine and a successful freelance writer are just the most recent on his list of accomplishments and accolades. More importantly, his honesty, candor and unique perspective of the world will inspire anyone who has ever had ever had a dream.

J: “The inspiration to be writer is tough to isolate as it's something I have done (privately for the most part) since high school. Being a writer always seemed like nice vocation but hardly practical”.

K: So what makes you different? What does it take to be a successful writer?

J: “As far as being a successful writer, that's a tough nut. Define success? Bob Dylan once said ‘What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.’ But to better address your question, there are certain skills any aspiring writer must yield: Tenacity, curiosity, an open mind. While the practical skills of writing can be learned, they must, even by veterans, be refined, nourished, and honed. Talent can wither and die if left untended."

 “Reading voraciously is the key… Read things that shake your point of view.”

".. Branch out. Read genres you hate. Read books that put you to sleep with data. Read graffiti like it's Holy scripture. Just cram words, voices, and ideas into your head. Not only does it give you ample story fodder, but it helps guide your own writing, helps you separate the different voices in the world, not to mention the very different tones of the publications out on the market.”

K: I'm curious, what do you feel was the biggest obstacle you faced was

J: “Obstacles for me have generally been self-inflicted. I have anxiety issues and a nearly life-long "relationship" with depression. The sort of shit that kept me from pursuing much writing before m thirties. Education helped me with that somewhat, but still, to be a writer seems to involve some level of anxiety, whether or not it manifests as a mental health problem. So, for a lot of people, convincing themselves they can write is often the first of many hurdles. All of the rest? Getting published before you're 30, making a living off writing, sound investments, etc.

None of the professional hurdles matter if you cannot leap out of the stocks of your own self-doubt.”

“I credit anyone under the age of 30 who is pluggin away at being a writer, journalist, or any sort of creative endeavour. The world is full of suppressed creatives who were told by teachers and parents they weren't good enough, or called them dreamers. Tuning that shit out and focusing on your passions, though ... there's no stopping a person once they've set off on that path.”

K: How have you seen the industry change and what advice do you have for aspiring writers to adapt and succeed in this constantly evolving field?

J: “I would urge young students to study the past (journalism, that is), so to understand its simultaneous evo/devolution. That baseline of knowledge may become an esoteric art soon, but history always has plenty to teach us about ourselves. I wonder if Trump's America, the ever-encroaching Right ascension in Europe, continued infringement on journalist's rights, and the death of Net Neutrality will see a return to old school journalism? A backlash of investigative journalism and backbone? In any event, the trick is, I think, to cover your ass: know the basic fundamentals of reporting and storytelling, knowing what makes a compelling draft, being wise to editorial standards, and follow through on your assignments. Then, as technology shifts and slides, as the industry heaves, as more and more sites emerge to counter corporate media, you will be in good stead to land bylines.”

K: Looking back on your career thus far what are your favourite experiences or memories?

J: “Favourite ...hmm. Well, interviewing Billy Bragg via phone was the shit. (For a year afterwards, I kept his name and the hotel phone he called me at on my phone). I totally fanboyed, but did my best to keep my shit together. Obviously interviewing Art was a dream. Love that man to pieces. He was genial and in good spirits. He asked me as many questions as I asked him, which may have been a defence mechanism or a way for him to ease into an interview. I wrote about the Egyptian Spring for The Martlet, that was a plum - my first "hard news" item. Of course, selling two stories to the Vancouver Sun in one day was pretty sweet. (When I presented copies of the paper to my elderly aunt that summer, she burst into tears. It was embarrassing.) And though I am loathe to praise my own work, I wrote a tribute to Lou Reed after he died that, despite some rough edges that the editor could have smoothed out, I remain fond of it myself; it was all heart coming out onto the screen. In general, I see my career as just an extended social event with a disparate group of people who have lead far more exoctic lives than I have. Hahaha”

Expect exciting things from Jason, and check him out (Especially his blog!) at http://www.jasonmotz.ca/

                 ....On a personal note this little gem really resonated with me.. as two adults with a dreamers vision and bills to pay, or what I call being ‘responsibly immature’,  Jason had this to say about straddling the chasm:


“Ahh, ichiban. Pro tip for adulting is still being able to enjoy a microwave burrito... Never forget your roots”

Awesome.

Comments

  1. Such a delight to chat with, K.

    Your questions were personal but not overly so, and you made sure to get the goods right off the bat. Some young writers may feel they have to "work up" to a difficult question. Sure, one or two light questions is fine, but having the composure to just go all in on the first hand is not a bad tool to have in the kit.

    As I have to make some points of criticism, I will simply say that the few errors i noticed would have been spotted with a more careful copyedit. As with one of your classmates, I recommend pairing with someone with whom to share assignments and read each other's drafts before submitting them. Could save you a few marks.

    Oh, and though it's odd to admit this mistake, I am 41-years old not 33.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Oh Jason! Wherever did I gather that you were only 33? outdated links? forgotten-about bio's? i will bare the shame of misinformation on my badge of journalism like a scarlet letter.
      Your constructive criticism is nothing short of gold at this point..I should pay you for your insight. However..peer editing was evident..I took out your cuss words did I not? Personally I enjoy that rebellious side of yours but come on..kids are reading ;)

      Delete
    2. I don't think Andy minds the cuss words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do you feel tortured?

Terminate this

Tweeting Excersise